In 2011, TAPAS organized the first annual International Tempranillo Day: A celebration of the Tempranillo grape with all its regional synonyms. We encouraged everyone to open a bottle of Tempranillo, enjoy the fun, and share their experiences online with the hashtag #TempranilloDay or #Tempranillo.
For 2016, the date will be Thursday, November 10, 2016.
Tempranillo, indigenous to Spain and used in the great Rioja and Ribera del Duero wines, is planted in 500,000 acres of the world’s vineyards, making it the fourth most planted wine grape, and that would be enough to celebrate.
Until recently, this noble grape’s entire acreage was almost all grown in Spain. Perhaps others were confused by the 60 or more regional synonyms for Tempranillo, which in itself may be a record worth celebrating.
But things have changed: knowledge of this noble grape is rapidly spreading, creating excitement and a spirit of cooperation among adventurous vintners bringing this Old World variety to New World soils. Tempranillo today is grown in many more countries including the United States, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, Australia, France, Portugal, Turkey, Canada, China, Thailand, and more. And that’s why we established International Tempranillo Day.
Some Tempranillo links:
International Tempranillo Day Events
Watch this space for more details and events! If you're interested in organizing an event or becoming a sponsor, please contact TAPAS!
- Croma Vera (San Luis Obispo, CA) will offer 20% off their Tempranillo Joven and Rosé of Tempranillo, by the bottle, for Tempranillo Day, November 10. The Tempranillo Joven is the perfect accompaniment to Thanksgiving dinner.
- To help celebrate Tempranillo Day on November 10, Matchbook (Zamora, CA) will be offering a special Tempranillo tasting at their Tasting Room. The tasting will feature the Matchbook 2016 Rose of Tempranillo, their 2012 vintage of Tempranillo, and a special preview tasting of the 2013 vintage Tempranillo.
- Abacela (Roseburg, OR) is hosting a Paella Dinner from 6:00-8:00 PM on Thursday, November 10th. Enjoy their house-made Chicken & Chorizo Paella with Verjus Salad. $20 per person, limited seating, please RSVP to (541) 679-6642, extension 2. Abacela will have special wine flights, Library Tempranillos and Spanish-themed cheese and plaza plates on #TempranilloDay (11 am - 8 pm) and throughout the weekend.
- On Friday, November 11 from 5:00-9:00 pm, Six Sigma Ranch (Lower Lake, CA) presents an International Tempranillo Day Tasting for their wine club. Reservations required at 707-994-4068 or Patty@SixSigmaRanch.com.
- The American Wine Society holds its annual conference in Costa Mesa, CA from November 3-5. At 9:00 am Saturday, November 5, TAPAS President Stuart Spencer of St. Amant Winery will moderate a Tempranillo Shootout - a blind tasting of four Spanish and four California Tempranillos. (This seminar is full!)
- Watch for the Lodi Tour of Tempranillos with many Lodi wineries participating - details to be announced!
- Look for special Tempranillo Day events to be posted on the Bokisch Vineyards website.
Wines & Vines is our Premier Media Sponsor!
Thanks to our Transportation Sponsor!