international tempranillo day
In 2011, TAPAS organized the first annual International Tempranillo Day: A celebration of the Tempranillo grape with all its regional synonyms. We encouraged everyone to open a bottle of Tempranillo, enjoy the fun, and share their experiences online with the hashtag #TempranilloDay or #Tempranillo.
For 2016, the date will be Thursday, November 10, 2016.
Tempranillo, indigenous to Spain and used in the great Rioja and Ribera del Duero wines, is planted in 500,000 acres of the world’s vineyards, making it the fourth most planted wine grape, and that would be enough to celebrate.
Until recently, this noble grape’s entire acreage was almost all grown in Spain. Perhaps others were confused by the 60 or more regional synonyms for Tempranillo, which in itself may be a record worth celebrating.
But things have changed: knowledge of this noble grape is rapidly spreading, creating excitement and a spirit of cooperation among adventurous vintners bringing this Old World variety to New World soils. Tempranillo today is grown in many more countries including the United States, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, Australia, France, Portugal, Turkey, Canada, China, Thailand, and more. And that’s why we established International Tempranillo Day.
Some Tempranillo links:
Not ten years ago, Americans couldn’t pronounce the name of our grape. They can now, and that’s progress, but there is still much more to be taught and learned about this noble grape. Remember Tempranillo is the last of the world’s major grapes to be produced in America at the level of excellence! So we will continue to hold International Tempranillo Day on an annual basis.
International Tempranillo Day Events
Watch this space for details and events! If you're interested in organizing an event or becoming a sponsor, please contact TAPAS!
- Turkovich Family Wines (Winters, CA) will be part of the Winters TempFest! Expand your wine repertoire and learn more about the Spanish grape, Tempranillo. Visit their tasting room in downtown Winters during this weekend and experience Spanish flair. Scheduled activities for the weekend are:
- Thursday Evening Nov. 10, 5:00-9:00pm - Tapas and Tempranillo
- Friday Evening Nov. 11, 6:00–9:00pm - Winemaker Dinner (sold out)
- Friday-Sunday Nov. 11-13, 11:00am–9:00pm - Tapas and Tempranillo
- Saturday Nov. 12, 11:00am–9:00pm - Tempranillo Flight Tasting served with Tortilla Española
- Delicia, a Spanish and South/Central American restaurant in Indianapolis, IN, will feature all their Tempranillo bottles at 25% off for International Tempranillo Day.
- Weisinger Family Winery (Ashland, OR) will be offering 10% off their current release of Tempranillo on Tempranillo Day!
- Croma Vera (San Luis Obispo, CA) will offer 20% off their Tempranillo Joven and Rosé of Tempranillo, by the bottle, for Tempranillo Day, November 10. The Tempranillo Joven is the perfect accompaniment to Thanksgiving dinner.
- To help celebrate Tempranillo Day on November 10, Matchbook (Zamora, CA) will be offering a special Tempranillo tasting at their Tasting Room. The tasting will feature the Matchbook 2016 Rose of Tempranillo, their 2012 vintage of Tempranillo, and a special preview tasting of the 2013 vintage Tempranillo.
- Abacela (Roseburg, OR) is hosting a Paella Dinner from 6:00-8:00 PM on Thursday, November 10th. Enjoy their house-made Chicken & Chorizo Paella with Verjus Salad. $20 per person, limited seating, please RSVP to (541) 679-6642, extension 2. Abacela will have special wine flights, Library Tempranillos and Spanish-themed cheese and plaza plates on #TempranilloDay (11 am - 8 pm) and throughout the weekend.
- On Friday, November 11 from 5:00-9:00 pm, Six Sigma Ranch (Lower Lake, CA) presents an International Tempranillo Day Tasting for their wine club. Reservations required at 707-994-4068 or Patty@SixSigmaRanch.com.
- The American Wine Society holds its annual conference in Costa Mesa, CA from November 3-5. At 9:00 am Saturday, November 5, TAPAS President Stuart Spencer of St. Amant Winery will moderate a Tempranillo Shootout - a blind tasting of four Spanish and four California Tempranillos. (This seminar is full!)
- Watch for the Lodi Tour of Tempranillos with many Lodi wineries participating - details to be announced!
- Look for special Tempranillo Day events to be posted on the Bokisch Vineyards website.
- Diablo Paso Wines (Paso Robles, CA), specializing in all Spanish varietals, will feature their 2014 Tempranillo in their downtown Paso Robles tasting room.
A Word about the Date
Going forward, International Tempranillo Day will always be on the second Thursday in November. Thursday was selected to facilitate commercial activities, as most restaurants and bottle shops are too busy on weekend days. The day remains the same but the date varies, thus avoiding future conflicts with Election Day, All Souls' Day, Day of the Dead, All Saints' Day, etc. The second Thursday in November will never be earlier than the 8th nor later than the 14th; thus ITD will not crowd Thanksgiving.
Photos courtesy Marty Johnson and Abacela