Join the Sanchos! Get news and info!
Follow us on Twitter
July 18, 2017 | Heidi Stine
Society of Wine Educators conference, August 10-12 Continue »
June 5, 2017 | Heidi Stine
Tickets still available for the June 16-17 Festival in Paso Robles! Continue »
May 8, 2017 | Heidi Stine
dinner, seminar and tasting - june 16-17 Continue »
For 2016, the date was Thursday, November 10, 2016. Thanks to everyone who celebrated #TempranilloDay with us!
Looking forward to Thursday, November 9, 2017!
In 2011, TAPAS organized the first annual International Tempranillo Day: A celebration of the Tempranillo grape with all its regional synonyms. We encouraged everyone to open a bottle of Tempranillo, enjoy the fun, and share their experiences online with the hashtag #TempranilloDay or #Tempranillo.
Tempranillo, indigenous to Spain and used in the great Rioja and Ribera del Duero wines, is planted in 500,000 acres of the world’s vineyards, making it the fourth most planted wine grape, and that would be enough to celebrate.
Until recently, this noble grape’s entire acreage was almost all grown in Spain. Perhaps others were confused by the 60 or more regional synonyms for Tempranillo, which in itself may be a record worth celebrating.
But things have changed: knowledge of this noble grape is rapidly spreading, creating excitement and a spirit of cooperation among adventurous vintners bringing this Old World variety to New World soils. Tempranillo today is grown in many more countries including the United States, Italy, Mexico, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, Australia, France, Portugal, Turkey, Canada, China, Thailand, and more. And that’s why we established International Tempranillo Day.
Some Tempranillo links:
Not ten years ago, Americans couldn’t pronounce the name of our grape. They can now, and that’s progress, but there is still much more to be taught and learned about this noble grape. Remember Tempranillo is the last of the world’s major grapes to be produced in America at the level of excellence! So we will continue to hold International Tempranillo Day on an annual basis.
International Tempranillo Day Events
Watch this space for details and events! If you're interested in organizing an event or becoming a sponsor, please contact TAPAS!
- Cholame Vineyard (San Miguel, CA) is celebrating International Tempranillo Day all week with a great offer! Receive a limited vertical set of 4 bottles of Tempranillo "Bull Pen" for $149. That's one bottle each of the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 Tempranillo, one of Cholame's most award winning wines, with free shipping this week only! Order now through Friday, November 11 at firstname.lastname@example.org or 805-610-1122.
- Columbia Winery (Woodinville, WA) is celebrating Tempranillo Day with bottle specials throughout November: their 2013 Tempranillo is 15% off bottles and 20% off cases for the general public, and 30% off bottles and 35% off cases for Club Members. They are also launching their 2014 Tempranillo, for exclusive purchase by their Wine Club members.
- Turkovich Family Wines (Winters, CA) will be part of the Winters TempFest! Expand your wine repertoire and learn more about the Spanish grape, Tempranillo. Visit their tasting room in downtown Winters during this weekend and experience Spanish flair. Scheduled activities for the weekend are:
- Thursday Evening Nov. 10, 5:00-9:00pm - Tapas and Tempranillo
- Friday Evening Nov. 11, 6:00–9:00pm - Winemaker Dinner (sold out)
- Friday-Sunday Nov. 11-13, 11:00am–9:00pm - Tapas and Tempranillo
- Saturday Nov. 12, 11:00am–9:00pm - Tempranillo Flight Tasting served with Tortilla Española
- Delicia, a Spanish and South/Central American restaurant in Indianapolis, IN, will feature all their Tempranillo bottles at 25% off for International Tempranillo Day.
- Weisinger Family Winery (Ashland, OR) will be offering 10% off their current release of Tempranillo on Tempranillo Day!
- Croma Vera (San Luis Obispo, CA) will offer 20% off their Tempranillo Joven and Rosé of Tempranillo, by the bottle, for Tempranillo Day, November 10. The Tempranillo Joven is the perfect accompaniment to Thanksgiving dinner.
- To help celebrate Tempranillo Day on November 10, Matchbook (Zamora, CA) will be offering a special Tempranillo tasting at their Tasting Room. The tasting will feature the Matchbook 2016 Rose of Tempranillo, their 2012 vintage of Tempranillo, and a special preview tasting of the 2013 vintage Tempranillo.
- Abacela (Roseburg, OR) is hosting a Paella Dinner from 6:00-8:00 PM on Thursday, November 10th. Enjoy their house-made Chicken & Chorizo Paella with Verjus Salad. $20 per person, limited seating, please RSVP to (541) 679-6642, extension 2. Abacela will have special wine flights, Library Tempranillos and Spanish-themed cheese and plaza plates on #TempranilloDay (11 am - 8 pm) and throughout the weekend.
- On Friday, November 11 from 5:00-9:00 pm, Six Sigma Ranch (Lower Lake, CA) presents an International Tempranillo Day Tasting for their wine club. Reservations required at 707-994-4068 or Patty@SixSigmaRanch.com.
- The American Wine Society holds its annual conference in Costa Mesa, CA from November 3-5. At 9:00 am Saturday, November 5, TAPAS President Stuart Spencer of St. Amant Winery will moderate a Tempranillo Shootout - a blind tasting of four Spanish and four California Tempranillos. (This seminar is full!)
- Watch for the Lodi Tour of Tempranillos with many Lodi wineries participating - details to be announced!
- Look for special Tempranillo Day events to be posted on the Bokisch Vineyards website.
- Diablo Paso Wines (Paso Robles, CA), specializing in all Spanish varietals, will feature their 2014 Tempranillo in their downtown Paso Robles tasting room.
- Details just announced - the Lodi Tour of Tempranillo Weekend, November 11-13, 2016! Seventeen of Lodi’s most popular wineries are celebrating International Tempranillo Day the second weekend in November. The Lodi Tour of Tempranillo is an event focused on tasting this red wine from a number of different producers in Lodi. Visit any one of the following wineries to collect a complimentary guidebook and begin your exploration, or plan ahead with this “Tour Planner.” Each winery will have a different offering, and many will offer special tastings only available at this event.
- Bokisch Vineyards, 18921 Atkins Road, Lodi, CA
- d’Art Wines, 13299 Curry Ave, Lodi, CA
- Dancing Coyote Wines, 3125 East Orange Street, Acampo, CA - offering a case special on their 2012 Tempranillo, $100 a case!
- Dancing Fox Winery, 203 S School St, Lodi, CA
- Estate Crush, 2 W. Lockeford Street, Lodi, CA
- Fields Family Wines, 3803 Woodbridge Rd E, Acampo, CA
- Heritage Oak Winery, 10112 E Woodbridge Rd, Acampo, CA
- m2 Wines, 2900 East Peltier Road, Acampo, CA
- McCay Cellars, 1370 E Turner Rd. Lodi CA
- Peirano Estate Vineyards, 21831 CA-99, Acampo, CA
- Riaza Wines, 20 West Elm Street, Lodi, CA
- Ripken Vineyards and Winery, 2472 W Sargent Road Lodi, CA
- St. Amant Winery, 1 Winemaster Way Lodi, CA
- St. Jorge Winery, 22769 North Bender Road Acampo, CA
- Toasted Toad Cellars, 21 E Elm Street Lodi, CA
- Viaggio Estate and Winery, 100 E Taddei Rd. Acampo, CA
- Woodbridge Uncorked, 18911 N. Lower Sacramento Rd, Woodbridge, CA
A Word about the Date
Going forward, International Tempranillo Day will always be on the second Thursday in November. Thursday was selected to facilitate commercial activities, as most restaurants and bottle shops are too busy on weekend days. The day remains the same but the date varies, thus avoiding future conflicts with Election Day, All Souls' Day, Day of the Dead, All Saints' Day, etc. The second Thursday in November will never be earlier than the 8th nor later than the 14th; thus ITD will not crowd Thanksgiving.
Photos courtesy Marty Johnson and Abacela